Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

pug: my 5 year..red inflamation..on antibiotics for 2 weeks..calm down…

Customer Question
my 5 year old pug...
my 5 year old pug Ollie, has red inflamation around both eyes. it looks like he has been socked in both eyes. He's been on antibiotics for 2 weeks, and they seemed to dry up and calm down a little but not much, then this am, he started hacking terribly. He's a the vet now-they don't really know what's wrong with his eyes...I need answers....thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/23/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

What antibiotic is he on exactly? Is it oral or topical eye drops?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Are the eyes still red?

Is he lethargic?

Thanks.

hi there
he is drinking normally, eating everything like he normally does, running around..overall he's acting normal. About 3 times a year-he has trouble with this weird hacking cough. Sounds like he's smoked for 40 yrs. I think it may be seasonal. I give him meds for it, and it slowly goes away...I have been out of town for work as soon as this started, and I return back home tomorrow, so I don't know the name of the exact antibiotic..He's at the vet's now, and they're palnning to do a chest xray. No one seems to know what this eye thing is. I had his grandma who's watching him while I'm gone take a photo with her phone. I can email you a pic if that will help.
Thank you

With the coughing, I would be suspicious of a few things, including kennel cough, influenza, tracheal collapse, and allergies/irritation of the trachea. X-ray is a good way to see if the trachea is ok. If it is, then getting some coughing medication as well as antibiotic should help.

For the eye, it is likely allergies (since you said it's seasonal), and eye drops with steroid can help. But I would suggest to ask your vet to check for glaucoma as well as dry eye, the tests are called schirmer's tear test and intraocular pressure. If those are normal, then allergy is likely.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.