Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My female shih tzu is diabetic but is losing her hair. My Vet…

Customer Question
My female shih tzu is...
My female shih tzu is diabetic but is losing her hair. My Vet thinks she might have Cushing's disease but I don't have the funds to find out. Is there anything I can do for her that will assist her if she has the disease? She is on 2 insulin shots a day for her diabetes and she also has a heart murmur and IBS, She is on a gastro food and it seems to be working. Thanks
Sharon
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything to do for her except keep her protected from the sun like you are doing. You can give her a fish oil supplement to help support the skin but it will not regrow the hair. When you have the funds it is very important to get her tested for Cushing's. Having Cushing's that is not treated will eventually cause problems with her diabetes control as well. Unfortunately you have to treat the source of the problem which is either the adrenal gland or the pituitary gland (in the brain) there is nothing OTC that is effective or appropriate.

For detailed information on Cushing's see this website:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=1193&SourceID=

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan

Hi Dr Dan

Thanks for the valuable information on Molly. Hopefully I can save enough money to have her tested soon. I will put her on the fish oil supplement for now. I will also check out the website that you have provided me with.

Many thanks,

Sharon

Good luck with her.

Dr. Dan