Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

my lab is hard to stand is harmful to take awalk or play f…

Customer Question
my lab is hard to...
my lab is hard to stand up ,is harmful to take awalk or play fetch lately is lay down more sometime she bring the ball went paly
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
It is not unusual to see this type of thing in an adult lab. There are a number of things that could be going on. The first consideration is the possibility of early onset arthritis. If it turns out this is the case, the discomfort and pain can be managed through medication.

The next possibility is that you could be seeing the signs of hip dysplagia. This is a condition where the hip joints are not formed properly, and is very common to see in labs.

I would recommend a trip to your vet to have her checked out, The only way to know for sure between the two is through x-rays. In the mean time, you can safely give her up to 500mg of aspirin twice daily to help with the pain she is feeling.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck.