Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

dog: will be 11yrs old in US and it will be 27yrs old

Customer Question
If anyone knows the evidence(scientific...
If anyone knows the evidence(scientific article) shows average lifespan of dog will be 11yrs old in US and it will be 27yrs old in ideal condition, please let me know. cat too.
Tony
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello Tony,

I'm not sure where you received this information, but it's not true. No such article exists. The ideal condition for a dog is what most owners in the US and many other parts of the world provide.

The longest lifespan reported is 24 years in a domestic dog, although there is a story of a dog that lived to be 27.

You may be thinking of african wild dogs. They will live 12-14 years in the wild, but in captivity can live > 20 years.

Cats in the wild often don't make it to 10, but in captivity they will live 12-17 years.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

As far as I know there must be certain article for that. I am looking for that article. So, I can not accept your answer. Sorry Tony

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Tammy, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Tammy
Dr. Tammy, Dog Veterinarian
One study on longevity in dogs out of Germany is as follows:

[Life expectancy and cause of death in dogs. I. The situation in mixed breeds and various dog breeds]

Lebenserwartung und Todesursachen bei Hunden. I. Zur Situation bei Mischlingen und verschiedenen Rassehunden

Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr. August 1996;109(8):292-303. German

H Eichelberg1, R Seine1 Zoologisches und Vergleichend Anatomisches Institut der Universität Bonn.

Abstract

Nippon juigaku zasshi. The Japanese journal of veterinary science
Volume 51 | Issue 5 (October 1989)

Epidemiological studies on the expectation of life for cats computed from animal cemetery records

Nippon Juigaku Zasshi. October 1989;51(5):905-8.
H Hayashidani, Y Omi, M Ogawa, K Fukutomi

Abstract

Based on the Chiang's method, the life table for cats was constructed from the death data of 3936 cats. They died in the Kanto area and were buried in an animal cemetery in Tokyo from June 1981 through May 1982. This life table seems to be the first one for domestic pet cats. The expectation of life for cats was 4.2 years at age 0, 5.0 years at age 1, 5.4 years at age 4, 5.3 years at age 5, 3.5 years at age 10, and 2.2 years at age 15. The maximum age at death was 22 years. From age 0 to age 5, the probability of dying for cats was higher than that for dogs, but over 6 years of age it seemed that Gompertz's equation was applicable to this life table for cats. From these results, if the probability of dying for cats at early ages decreases, the fundamental pattern of dying curve for cats seems to be a similar figure of dogs. The life table was constructed for different breeds and localities. Comparing the expectation of life at age 1 (e1) of the two populations divided by breeds or localities, there was significant difference in the e1 among different localities but not among different breeds. These facts suggest the existence of some factors which may influence the life span of cats among different localities.

I am not finding a scientific journal article that just gives the basic life span for dogs and cats anywhere. There may be an article out in some of the lay journals, but not in any of the scientific journals (at least not in a search of PubMed.

Dr. Tammy

Thank you for your reply, but I need the published evidence. So, sorry, I will not be able to accept the answer.

Tony

Thank you for yoru reminder. However what I would like see is US data shows average life span in large breed dog is about 11yrs old, but in ideal condition, the life span woud be around 27 yrs. old. Tony
Have you seen a study out there that mentions this info? I can't find any scientific studies that show anything remotely close to this. http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdfplus/10.2460/javma.2002.220.1315 I'm not sure if you will be able to follow this link, since it is into a password XXXXX area, but this is a study published in JAVMA on longevity and increased life span with diet restriction. The study basics are available on longliveyourdog.com, but I don't think that's what you are really looking for here. I don't think there is actual data that shows life span in "ideal" conditions to be 27 years old. The oldest living dog that I've found is 25 years, so I don't think 27 is realistic.

Dr. Tammy