Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

my dog was playing in the yard and is now shaking uncontrollably…

Customer Question
my dog was playing in...
my dog was playing in the yard and is now shaking uncontrollably? His pupils are fully dialated and his body is stiffening
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Any chance of a snake or scorpion bite?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
we live in hawaii and I have never seen a snake or scorpion in our yard. we have had a tick problem and sprayed the yard three days ago. we also spread pellets from Home Depot that helps ticks. The bottle says it is not harmful to animals or people but if he ate it could something like this happen
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. If the label says it is not harmful to animals then this is most likely the case so you can probably forget this angle.

2. However many cases of poisoning can present like this, consider plants in the garden or house and any other potential poisons you have in the house, garden or garage.

3. If it is not toxin related consider a neurological diseases such as epilepsy, this commonly starts around two years of age and could cause shaking and stiffening. Also consider diseases such as tetanus.

There is nothing you can safely do here on a home remedy basis for a dog showing symptoms of this nature, accordingly the best advice I can give you is to get her to a vet as soon as you can even if this means using an ER vet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS