Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 5yrs. old & something is making her extremely ill.

Customer Question
she is a German Shepherd...
My dog is 5yrs. old & something is making her extremely ill. she is a German Shepherd mix approx 70lbs She has a very high fever & is having trouble walking, especially her front legs. From a laying position, she yelps, when trying to get up Really runny nose, Shallow "panting" breathing, even when sleeping
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have your vet check Micah over sooner rather than later as this does not sound like a situation where home remedies are going to help in the slightest.

While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet clearly your dog is running a high temperature and so is likely to be in the grip of an infection of some kind. Lyme disease for example could present like this but of course other diagnosis would be possible such as spinal lesions.

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that antibiotics would be what is needed if Micah is indeed running a temperature. I am sorry I cannot give you any more specific advice via the internet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Thank- you 4 your quick reply- I would like to know if a cool bath might help her-I know it helps us if we have a high fever-I have called every emerg. vet clinic, hosp.& reg. vet clinics, in my area, and because my credit isnt so good, None of them will let me bring her in. I am afraid that she wont be able to wait until tomorrow when her reg vet is open. I have tried them too, and have left messages on all voicemails. Isnt there SOMETHING I can do to help her thru the night? I understand it is difficult for U 2 diagnose an exact problem, but symptomatically, can U recommend something?
Hello again,

1. You are right a cold bath may help make her more comfortable and reduce her high temperature, but you have to be careful that this will not stress her more, if your dog is normally a quiet calm dog you could give it a try.

2. Where it is impossible to get to a vet I have known owners use aspirin to reduce their dog's temperatures and make them more comfortable. While there are risks here it may help in some circumstances.

On a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other human over the counter pain killers. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

Good luck,

Scott