Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Honey bee (a Shitzu started to bleed in her paw while running…

Customer Question
Honey bee (a Shitzu? started...
Honey bee (a Shitzu? started to bleed in her paw while running around out side. We did have a glass table break. Do we let it go? The bleeding has stopped. Is peroxide good for dogs? Bandage it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/20/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- How long ago did this happen?

2- Where exactly is the cut and how big?

Today at the pool. On the paw, small we beleive it to be a peice of glass. A glass table broke recently. It is not a big cut. Is peroxide ok for dogs?

Yes, clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide. Expect to see some bubbles from the hydrogen peroxide. Do not cover it, leave it open. Make certain there is not any glass remaining. Do not let her lick the wound. If necessary, pick up an ecollar (cone) in the local pet store. Flush with plenty clean water for 5 minutes then apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Have your day vet take a quick look at it. In the meantime, continue to do the above 2-3 times a day.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter