Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

FOUND A TOY YORKIE POO A WEEK AGO, LAST NITE SHE ATE A SPICY…

Customer Question
FOUND A TOY YORKIE POO...
FOUND A TOY YORKIE POO A WEEK AGO, LAST NITE SHE ATE A SPICY BOILED TURKEY NECK BONE OUT OF THE TRASH ( I RESIDE IN LOUISIANA), AND SHE'S NOW POOING OUT WITH WORMS WITH BLOODY STOOL WHAT DO I DO?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/20/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, thanks for your question. Dogs who scavenge in the trash are at high risk of developing digestive problems, including vomiting, diarrhea, intestinal blockage, and pancreatitis. I am hopeful that there's no blockage, but clearly this little dog is in need of some veterinary care, based on the presence of worms and bloody stool. A dewormer medicine such as Pyrantel or Fenbendazole would most likely be recommended, but a stool sample would need to be checked in order to identify exactly which types of worms are present. A bland diet consisting of chicken and rice, with no seasonings or spices, would also be recommended, as long as there is no vomiting occurring. Anti-diarrheal medicines are often utilized, but which type depends on the severity of the problem and the overall appearance of the pet.
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

thanks...

will worms cause death in this dog? can worms be spreaded to other dogs, i own a 6 month old Maltese puppy who takes a montly worm chewable.

Worms can certainly cause death if untreated, but it is typically a slow death due to dehydration and malnutrition. Worms are definitely contagious to other dogs.