Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

fever and cough

Customer Question
fever and cough
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Can you take a rectal temperature using a digital thermometer?
Is it a dry hacking cough or a productive cough?
Is he gagging at the end of the cough?
I do not have a thermometer. cough is not productive and sounds like he has something in his throat. He is not gagging. He has not been around other aninmals or been boarded. He is eating normally and running around in the yard as normal.
Ok thanks,

I'm guessing that her coughing is due to one of three things:

1. collapsing trachea- this is common in small and toy breed dogs. The trachea is the windpipe and can be felt on the neck right on the midline. It is made up of cartilage rings. In these little guys, often the cartilage does not form completely and instead of them being nice firm rings, they are soft and can be compressed when the head is down- thus the irritation and coughing. You can usually press on the trachea/ neck and elicit a cough reflex with this disease. Treatment is either ignoring it, or giving a cough suppressant like Butorphanol (torb) or Hycodan. Robitussin DM would be ok to use that is over the counter- 1/2 teaspoon 2-3 times daily. In severe cases, surgery can be done to insert new tracheal rings. Rarely needed.

2. Heart Disease- usually a murmur is heart when listening to the chest, but not always. The first sign of heart disease is an increase in heart size. The trachea/ windpipe branches off right over the heart to supply each lung with air. When the heart enlarges, it will press on that area of branching and cause irritation/ coughing. A radiograph of the chest will tell you if the heart is enlarged. If so, treatment may be started, but I generally do not treat unless there is evidence of heart failure. Heart failure is diagnosed when fluid is present in the lungs (pulmonary edema).

3. Kennel cough- if recently boarded or if the cough is followed by gagging. This is an infection and can be treated with antibiotics. One thing that helps at home is Robitussin DM- 1/2 teaspoon 2-3 times daily.

Sorry so long winded, but that should give you an idea of what is going on and the ways to diagnose and treat.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Can I give him anything for the fever. He is a cocker spaniel and weighs about 40lbs (last exam weight-Sept 09)
No, there is nothing over the counter for fevers that is safe in dogs. We also don't know for sure that he has a fever. Normal body temp in dogs is 100-102, so they will normally feel warm to us.