Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

boxer: energetic..just quite sensitive to what he eats..feed..stool…

Customer Question
my boxer dog is nine...
my boxer dog is nine and and half, still very energetic and never really had any major health issues just quite sensitive to what he eats. We feed him Burns high oats twice a day. For the last three weeks his stool has become very loose in that it is impossible alm most to scoop up. He has also started to wee in the kitchen, totally out of character. Yesterday I changed his food slightly mixing a little Burns pork and potato with his usual. This morning I came down to sick, poops and wee everywhere. I know he has to go to a vet but today is sunday. Any advice
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/20/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Bruno. I'm assuming that when you say "sick", you mean there was vomit present. The new addition to his diet could be causing this new sign. I would recommend having him seen as soon as possible to determine what is going on and how best he can be treated.

If a veterinary visit isn't possible here tonight, I'd fast him for 10 hours. No treats, no food, nothing. You can offer a small amount of water after the 10 hours, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After having access to the water for 1 hour, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor for recurring vomiting. If the vomiting doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his regular food over the next few days until you're back to just it.

If the vomiting persists despite this, or if he becomes lethargic, or shows other 'unusual' signs, you need to have him seen by a vet to figure out what is going on. His intestinal tract may be more sensitive in his older age and a new diet is needed to get it quieted down.

I hope this helps!!

This is all just 'common-sense' advice, which I would get from my pet store...I already do these things...water, then rice, initially with a stock cube, and monitor progress.

Sorry for the 'common-sense' advice. You'd be surprised by the number of individuals that I deal with on a regular basis that continue to feed and water their pet. The key thing again to help with the vomiting is the pulling up of the food and water for that time frame to allow the stomach to hopefully settle down.

As far as the urination, that is something that I forgot to address. Most of the time, inapropriate urination is due to a urinary tract infection. If this is ruled out, then metabolic and primary kidney issues are next to be pursued. If they are then ruled out, then a behavioral issue is left. Having that exam and testing will alllow the correct therapy to be started up.

I wish I could give you more to do at home, but I don't have any more. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.