Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog is breathing heavy and panting. His breathing is fast

My dog is breathing heavy and panting. His breathing is fast and short. He has been digging and his hind and his tail is swollen about a quarter of the way up. His gums are still pink. My concern is do I need to take him in to an animal ER tonight? Or can he wait until tomorrow? Also is there anything I can do tonight to ease his pain until tomorrow?
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Dr. Andy :

I will wait for your reply so we can discuss.

Customer:

Ok I am here

Dr. Andy :

Any time, every time, I deal with a situation that involves swelling, I strongly recommend more immediate treatment.

Customer:

OK so you recommend going to the ER tonight?

Dr. Andy :

We know it is severe enough to warrant discomfort, and he is also exhibiting the heavy breathing. I can't even rule-out the possibility he is experiencing some type of hypersensitivity reaction. Like an insect bite or sting.

Dr. Andy :

Well, it would be well worth it.

Dr. Andy :

I wold hate for Jack Jack to be in distress the entire evening. The vet may agree with my guess. If so, a steroid and antihistamine treatment would be extremely helpful.

Dr. Andy :

In addition, as an additional precaution, if you have Benadryl, I would give it now.

Dr. Andy :

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Benadryl

Dr. Andy :

If you don't have the Benadryl that is okay. The ER vet will give an antihistamine anyway if they suspect a allergic underlying cause.

Customer:

I am getting a little more information from my wife...

Customer:

She says this started about a week ago after getting a haircut from petsmart and has progressively gotten worse.

Customer:

The heavy breathing did not start until today

Dr. Andy :

That changes things, a little. He is still uncomfortable and is panting heavy. So, my recommendation to consult the ER vet still stands, so he is not like that all night.

Dr. Andy :

My recommendation for the Benadryl still stands.

Dr. Andy :

My suspicion for a reaction like an insect bite is less likely.

Customer:

OK just wanted to give you all the information I know.

Dr. Andy :

It is possible that they did something to his anal glands actually. THIS IS ONLY A GUESS. If they incompletely expressed them or incorrectly expressed them it could have caused a lot of discomfort. So, the tail swelling is more of a consequence of self trauma.

Dr. Andy :

Just a guess. I can only take my answer so far over-the-internet, but wanted to throw out that idea based on your wife's info.

Dr. Andy :

That's about all I can add.

Customer:

Yes he has been digging at it and it is definitely slef inflicted to a degree. He has had the anal gland issues before just not tail swelling

Dr. Andy :

My best guess.

Dr. Andy :

The benadryl could help him to sleep for the evening, but the best course of action would be the ER vet for better supportive care.

Customer:

Fair enough. I will not take up anymore of your time