Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Hiya, my westie Stanley is 16 months old and started with a…

Customer Question
Hiya, my westie Stanley is...
Hiya, my westie Stanley is 16 months old and started with a skin condition I think- patch on his lower back scally, with small flakes of skin coming off when I rub it and then another one futher down which is a small lump with a scab, doesn seem to bother him! Ive put sudocrem on both bits, with good effect, should I wait and see if it gets worse as at the moment its not that bad,I dont want him on antibotics or steroids, I will use these as a last resort! Could I also massage olive oil into it, like you do with cradle cap on babies? and can you recomend a natural supplement? What aboUt vitamin E? Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/18/2010
Dog Veterinarian: UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon replied 8 years ago
UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon

Hi there,

Is your westie up to date with flea treatment? When did you last treat and what did you use?

Does he have scaly skin anywhere else?

Is the scaly skin dry or greasy?

Does he lick and chew at his feet or scratch his ears?

Hiya, he is very up to date with his flea treatment, he uses practic from my vets every month, he is due it again very soon. He sometimes licks his feet but not excessively, and he had a period of shaking his head a lot 3 months ago but this has stoped, our vet precribed allergy relief tablets. No scaly skin other than the two patches I described. The scaly skin is dry and flakes off! Thanks marie

Hi there,

Thanks for the extra information.

As you may already know, we sties are very commonly affected by skin diseases - usually due to allergies and/or overgrowths of bacteria and yeasts on the skin. I think that any westie that starts with a skin problem early in life should be seen if possible, especially if there is a sign that one patch is starting to develop into 2 and so on . . . These things are much easier to get under control of they are tackled early.

I completely understand that you do not want your dog to be on unnecessary drugs, but again, the smaller the problem, the milder the treatment often is. It is good news that you have been so careful with your flea treatment, but there are other parasites that can affect the dog which are not killed by a product like prac-tic - demodex, sarcoptes etc. One of the very simple things that your vet can do is to look at a scrape of the skin and see if any of these are present. They can also look at tape strips of the skin too to identify yeasts such as malassezia - this one is very common in these dogs. Skin problems such as these can often be settled with shampoo and further parasite treatments without having to reach for antibiotics and steroids. There might even be an underlying allergy that can be helped with a change in feeding.

However, if your vet feels that these are necessary to relieve the syptoms initially whilst a cause is determined, then don't be worried - this doesn't commit you to using them long term.

My advice would be to go and have a chat and try to find out a bit more about what is going on. I would also advise adding evening primrose oil and omega acids to the diet - the one I use on my own dog in th UK is called Efa-Vet.

I hope this helps,

Jen