Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Lab: 13 years old. he is in good health..stairs..laying down…

Customer Question
Good evening, I have a Lab...
Good evening,
I have a Lab who is 13 years old. he is in good health, but recently fell down the stairs and his left back leg is hurtning.
he is OK walking, bit it takes his a while to get up from laying down position.
What pain killer can I give him?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Is he bearing weight on the limb?

2- Any swelling?

yes he is bearing weight on the limb and it does not seem to be swallen

In response to your question, you can give him Buffered Aspirin 5-10 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours with some food. Try not to keep him on Aspirin for more than a week as it can cause GI irritation. Continue on the glucosamine.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter,

what is buffered aspirin? I have 81 mg tablets. is it OK to give it ti hi? he weighs about 85 pounds

Much better if you go to the pharmacy and pick up Buffered Aspirin 325mg; it is more gentle on his stomach. Remember, you are giving 5-10 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours.
Thank you very much
Your Welcome.