Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 14 years old and her breath it horrible! I just lifted…

Customer Question
My dog is 14 years...
My dog is 14 years old and her breath it horrible! I just lifted her top lip last night and was shocked!! her gums completely lifted away from her teeth and the teeth are very bad and loose.... can you extract alot of teeth from and dog and is it very expensive?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/18/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. Tartar buildup and bad teeth are a common problem in older dogs. The tartar causes irritation and infection of the gums, causing them to lift away and rot away the roots of the teeth. The infection causes the odor you are smelling. If the roots or gums are damaged enough then the teeth do need to be extracted and antibiotics given to heal up the gums. For teeth that are less damaged, simply cleaning the teeth under anesthesia can save the teeth and gums. Extracting a lot of teeth may require that Shona eat canned or soft food but dogs do well despite the loss of teeth. There is a big danger that infection from the teeth will enter the blood stream and damage the heart, lungs, kidneys and liver if the infection is not treated. Costs vary so its best to have an estimate from your vet but you can expect that it will cost several hundred dollars. If you have more questions please let me know.