Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, Zibby, has been diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic…

Customer Question
My dog, Zibby, has been...
My dog, Zibby, has been diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Luekemia or Stage 5 Lymphoma. The test were not clear which it was. The vet has put Zibby on a high dose of prednisone (160mg) and sent us home to wait for her to die. Is there any treatment that we could do to help her. Homeopathic would be best for us. Is the special food been found to be of any help? Thank you for your help.
Denise
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

I am very sorry to hear about this diagnosis. Certainly, if your vet didn't offer it, you can always consult an oncologist for any chemotherapeutic options that could extend her life. The prednisone is a smart choice.

Dr. Andy :

In addition, I would start an antacid like Pepcid A.C., to help protect the stomach from the prednisone and to help with any nausea.

Dr. Andy :

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Pepcid

Dr. Andy :

For any underlying pain concerns, I would talk to your vet about some oral Tramadol.

Customer:

Is there any homeopathic treatment we could try? Or is the diagnois too serious?

Dr. Andy :

I don't believe any food change will make a difference at this point, so no reason to change and risk digestive upset.

Customer:

How will I know when it is time to put her to sleep? I am afraid that I will have a hard time being objective. Would it be when she stops eating or before?

Dr. Andy :

Hello. Well a few things to monitor for. Loss of appetite for consecutive days, any vomiting or bad diarrhea, difficulty getting or severe weakness, heavy panting to suggest pain or nausea. Even some of these symptoms can be moderated effectively with medications like Tramadol, or flagyl for diarrhea, or Cerenia (a once a day tablet for vomiting or nausea). So, for me, it is when I can no longer maintain a "quality of life" with the drugs I can offer, that it is time for euthanasia.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Andy :

You are welcome. I am very sorry, and you and your family have my deepest sympathy and support...........Dr. Andy

Dr. Andy :

If you have the opportunity, I also appreciate getting positive feedback if the advice was helpful or informative.