Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

can a female dog who is 14.5 years old who has been spade and…

Customer Question
can a female dog who...
can a female dog who is 14.5 years old who has been spade and other wise in good health contract a mamary tumor as she has a lump in that area which is what our vet is advising and intends to operate tomorrow (she is a cocker spanial) thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/17/2010
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 8 years ago
brisadog
  1. Did your vet biopsy the lump?
  2. Have they done an xray of her chest?
this is being done tomorrow but i thought a bitch that had been spayed could not get this type of tumor and it sounds quite a major op
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 8 years ago

Depending on the age that they are spayed, it does dramatically decrease the possibility of a mammary tumor - but it's not impossible. The other possibility is that the mass is not a mammary tumor, but another type that happens to be located on or near the mammary gland.

Biopsies from these tumors can be misleading sometimes. They do not "exfoliate" well, meaning needle biopsies do not always get a good sample of cells.

If you were my client, I would recommend checking her chest with an xray, and if there is no sign of spread at this time I would proceed with removal of the mass.

I hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click on the green Accept button. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Thanks!