Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13-15 year old border terrier. She is an inside dog.

Customer Question
I have a 13-15 year...
I have a 13-15 year old border terrier. She is an inside dog. Over the last 2 mornings, she has not wanted to come in from outside when I leave for work. I have to go and pull her up and then she will walk in. Tonight, after being outside all day, she is lying in the backyard and won't get up. Even when I walk to her she just looks at me. I am worried that she is dying. Until this week, she has always been very spry and has not seemed sick at all.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/17/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
HI
It sounds like she is quite ill. If at all possible, take her to an emergency veterinary clinic tonight. She may be in serious condition that may or may not be treatable. However it is important to find out if it is something treatable and if not to not let her suffer. Try to go and have an exam and good thorough medical workup and hopefully supportive care for whatever is found. It could be arthritis from aging wear and tear, heart failure, liver, kidney or pancreatic disease or severe infection. Try to go and get her help or at least find out what it is that is causing such severe lethargy. Good luck on this.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Please, if you agree with my advice, hit the accept button on your question. Also you need to deposit the fee first if you have not already done so. This is the only way we receive our commission on the payment.
thanks.We are not examining your animal and can only advise and give suggestions relative to your description.It is against the practice act and in direct violation of our license to do otherwise.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney