Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Bichon: pain in is hind legs..Im unemployed..lazy..broken bones…

Customer Question
My Bichon seems to be...
My Bichon seems to be having pain in is hind legs or back. I'm not sure what I can do for him and taking him to the doctor isn't an option since I'm unemployed and unfortunately cant afford the expense at this time.

My pup didn't do anything out of the ordinary lately that I'm aware of (he is typically lazy) and I'm 99.9% sure there aren't any broken bones. Out of the blue he will yelp (nobody around him) and is laying down very gingerly.

What can I do to help him with the pain and/or try to figure out what is bothering him?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/15/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dave, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian

Hello, and thanks for writing in. Sorry Louie is in pain. There are many possible causes for pain in the back part of his body, such as a herniated disc in his back, soft tissue injury (strain, sprain, bruise), possible fracture (I have seen dogs walk normally with broken bones), bladder pain (urinary tract infection, bladder stones), bowel pain (constipation, foreign material that was eaten). Ideally, Louie would be seen by a veterinarian so that a specific diagnosis could found, and specific treatment can be started. Since this is not an option for you right now, you can try a dose of buffered aspirin (5mg per pound of body weight), if he is not on any other medication. Some dogs can tolerate aspirin, while others can develop stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach ulcers. I would also recommend restricting activity for the next few days. Please don't give any other kind of human pain medication, as they can be very unsafe in dogs.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist further.

Dr. Dave

When he walks it appears that he is pulling himself with his front paws letting his back legs sort of slide behind him (both).

As I said, he is a fairly lazy pet, and not very frisky, therefore, is doesn't seem likely that he would break a bone, or sustain a spinal injury. Do these symptoms seem to correspond with a muscle injury or arthritis?

Thanks for your response.

I agree that a broken bone is not likely, but it's still possible - all it takes is one wrong step, or twisting a paw improperly. A herniated disc in the spine is very possible, even with being lazy. We see it all the time in small breed dogs, even if it's not injury related. Certainly a soft tissue injury is possible, as is arthritis (but arthritis would be less likely in this age of a dog). The way you describe your dog walking can still go along with the things I mentioned earlier - they can all make dogs walk this way. I wish I could tell you exactly what is causing the underlying problem, but unfortunately the only way is with a thorough exam, and possibly x-rays.

Let me know if I can help further.

Dr. Dave