Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 6 month old puppy was neutered and vaccinated with a 6-in-1…

Customer Question
Our 6 month old puppy...
Our 6 month old puppy was neutered and vaccinated with a 6-in-1 vaccine just before traveling to Mexico. We're in Mexico now, but getting ready to drive back home, which is why I'm writing rather than taking the pup to the vet. The first 2 days he was lethargic and had diarrhea. Day 3 his lymph nodes under his chin were swollen, he started having lightly green tinged, white mucous in his eyes (none from his nose) and his "third eye lid" was slightly pulled over his eye. He's had no vomiting and his diarrhea has cleared up. He is eating, but is still very lethargic. His vaccine used a modified live virus. He was a rescue pup (5 wks. past his first day of rescue) and my concern is whether this sounds like a "normal" reaction to the vaccine or whether he might be catching the virus *from* the vaccine; due to a lowered immunity from being a rescue animal. Also, is there anything we can give him to help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/15/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian

HI there,

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you out.

How long ago was your puupy neutered and vaccinated ? Was this a first vaccination?

Thanks -- no charge for info requests

He was neutered 10 days ago, vaccinated 5 days ago. As far as I'm aware, it was his first vaccination.

This may be a reaction to the vaccine -- but a little extreme.

I would be very cautious with his next vaccination -- and be sure to not have anything extra around that time.

The swollen areas under the jaw are consistent with an allergic reaction -- but are late for it- usually occurring with in the first 24 hours after a vaccine is given.

It may be due to the replication of the modified live portions of the vaccine --- combined with a little left over stress from rescue/neutering -- and then travel (which can also be a stress factor -- even when it doesn't look like it).

Please continue to watch him carefully -- be sure he is eating -- the rice with maybe a bit of boiled chicken would be fine until you get home and he is better. It is easy to digest and bland on his stomach.

Also be sure to monitor water consumption. I would not make any big changes or introduce regular food until you are settled with him for a day or two. Then work it in slowly with the rice. Stop if any diarrhea occurs and consult your vet.

The only possible over the counter med that might be helpful is pepto bismol -- .5-1 ml per pound. Do be careful and give when off the road for long time --

Also be sure to keep him at a nice ambient temperature during your travels -- chilling from wind or AC or too much heat could be detrimental..

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

The swollen glands may have occurred sooner, but were noticed on the third day (my daughter was petting him around his neck area and found them ... she thought they were cysts).

How likely is it that he could actually come down with distemper from a modified live virus vaccine? And, if it is simply a bad reaction to his vaccine, how soon would you say we should see improvement?

His diarrhea has cleared and he is doing well on his regular food. Should I still switch him to chicken and rice; or keep him on his regular food?

Thank you!

Ok -- if he is on a regular food and doing well -- do not change at this time.

Also -- highly unlikely to get distemper from the vaccine -- but reactions that occur. We consider 48 hours still normal -- after that -- there is a little more involved (immunosupression, or an infection incubating before the vaccine was given (but not showing yet). Since he is eating and drinking -- with out vomiting or diarrhea -- I would give another 24 - 48 hours. Please see your vet if a decline in energy or appetite are noted.

Simply reduction in immune ability due to stress can do this as well. Lots of TLC.