Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

dog: her?she is a border..to vets alot of times he doesnt kown?

Customer Question
l have a small dog...
l have a small dog we rescused or rehomed her?she is a border and a lakeland and she is 2 and half.we have had her since christmas we all love her,now for the past two or three months on the walk she will sitt on her bottom turrning around like she has to itch?l even have to put her on her lead.been to vets alot of times he doesnt kown? she does it on her front aswell?any ideas
thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about Milly's situation. Does she lick and chew at that area? Is she licking and chewing her paws? Have they been expressing her anal glands?

vet has done glands they are ok? she doesnt lick or chew the area.

Is she on any flea prevention? How often is she doing this toward her rear?

vet said no fleas. on and of all day.

Ok. Those dogs that are persistently uncomfortable in that area most likely have either an environmental allergy or a food allergy that is making that area more sensitive / irritated. Sometimes there are secondary lesions that can be viewed on the skin from bacterial or fungal infections. But, a lot in early cases have no lesions to be viewed. In these cases, either medications for the environmental allergy (called atopy) are started to try and improve the situation or a food trial is tried for a possible food allergy.
Here are two links that I want you to read on these two.
Atopyhttp://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=597

Food allergieshttp://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=652

With your little one, I would be very tempted to try an initial course of an antihistamine (diphenhydramine, chlormipramine, or hydroxazine) and an oral fatty acid supplementation to see if some improvement is seen. If this doesn't help, then progressing to steroids is the next step in a lot of cases to see if improvement is seen.