Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a boxer that weighs 75 lbs - she lost 1.2 lbs in the…

Customer Question
I have a boxer that...
I have a boxer that weighs 75 lbs - she lost 1.2 lbs in the last 3 weeks and is eating nothing be food from the vet now - she was vomiting and I took her to the vet and he did blood work - her AMYL was 756 U/L and her LIPA was 4343 U/L we re-did the bloodwork yesterday and her AMYL was 2500 and her LIPA was 6000 - I am going to have a biopsy done tomorrow - do you think this is the right path ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/15/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Just Answer.

I do have a couple of questions to help clarify the information.

1) Could you give the time line for what has happened -- what symptoms, when blood work was done, treatment received, how symptoms changed, and when blpood work was redone. This will help me very much.

2) What has your vet diagnosed -- and are they doing pancreatic biopsy or liver and pancreas?

Thanks -- no charge for info requests

We got her in November and she coughed one time and threw up one time around February so I took her to the vet and she had heartworms so we went thru that treatment and she is to be re-checked for that in July - the also had a tit hanging down when we got here - so we had that take off and checked it was ok, but he said to watch for any place that might come up and have them checked that Boxers were known to have some type of mass cell cancer (I am not good at medical terms and this is the first dog I have really ever had).

I took her to the vet on 5/25/10 that is when the first blood work was done - I took her because she was throwing up very often. She finished her first round of medicine around the 7th or 8th - threw up one more time around the 9th or 10 so I took her back again yesterday. I can scan and e-mail the blood work to you if you like.

She is just the most wonderful dog - you could not ask for a better behaved - more lovable dog - I would appreciate your help.

The blood work would be helpful -- even if it is just the codes and numbers of what is abnormal -- If the AMYL and LIPA are the only ones abnormal -- then that is all I need to know.

The other ones I am particularly curious about are the ALT and ALKP ? or anything abnormal.

I believe there is a way to scan and attach -- but I am not so familiar with your side of this process!! -- Seems like a tree symbol maybe.. but not necessary unless there are lots of abnormals.

Also -- you mentioned eating -- is she on a food from the vet? What is the name? and is she eating it without vomiting (except for the episode around the 9-10th?

IS appetite and BM ok?

Is there ANY chance that she is eating something that she should not be getting into -- garbage, people food, neighbor feeding, cat food --- etc etc. I am trying to rule out a pancreatitis cause -- but usually with this presentation -- and additional episode -- there would have to be mutiple episoides.

Also Is she back on the Cimetidine and Sucralfate?

It will take a few questions likely for me to work through this completely -- so bear with me. I would like to give you a reasonable second opinion.

When I got her she was on Pedigree and stayed on it until she started getting sick - when she would vomit the food was not even digested - it was still whole - so I changed her to Purina One and then when she kept getting sick the vet suggeted EN Gastroenteric - so far she has had approx 3 - 8lbs bags and I just bought a 15 lbs bag yesterday.

She had taken the Cimetidine once by its self and then on 5/25/10 he gave her Cimetidine and to take twice a day 1 hour apart. and then yesterday he gave her the Cimetidine and the Sucralafate and I was going to start them today - I was just to upset yesterday.

I think they are just going to do a biopsy on the pancreas only ? I can'tf find a way to attach the reports - I can fax ?

I have included the last two visits from the vet - I hope this helps

I hope you got the above info - I can't tell where we are on this program

HI again --

Yes it does help -- Unfortunately -- I cannot release a fax number through this system - so sorry. But I am working on the assumption that other things are in order (blood values are normal range for other tests).

If there are any other abnormals -- let me know. If the normal ranges are not on the sheet you have -- you can consult yoru vet's office and ask them to tell you which ones area abnormal. You can write them to me if there are additional ones. I will be on line -- on and off through out today.

You knew the numbers and info on both pancreatic enzymes. Likely, the liver is not affected (they are close together) if the liver enzymes are not affected.

It is common for the pancreas, intestine and liver to be affected (a sort of triad because of proximity and location of ducts for pancreas and liver). So it is common to get these biopsies together --

The differential diagnoses would include :

Chronic pancreatitis (more diet related)

Inflammation of the pancreas/liver/intestine due to infectious cause

Possible cancer in the area of the pancreas or of the pancreas.

The diagnostic choices at this point are ultrasoudna nd radiographs, which show the organs in 2 dimentional black and white.

Or biopsy -- which can give a diagnosis much clearer than the xrays or ultrasound. Traditoinally the imaging has been done first -- but the more accurate diagnostic of the biopsy makes many vets do this first. And I tend to agree -- less money -- more diagnostic power.

the biopsy can be done through surgery or by laproscope (both will allow visualization of the organs -- surgery maybe see more (but healing is longer). If it can be done by laproscope -- this is less invasive and shorter healing time.

Either way -- it is important to know that this is the right step -- and what I would do if it were my own dog. Boxers are (as you mentioned) prone to many cancers -- I believe knowing the correct diagnosis in your young adult boxer is very important. They are the most awesome dogs -- with great personlities and increadibly loyal -- but their lifespans are a little shorter than the average dog. Your dog has been through a lot already -- hopefully this will be a case of chronic pancreatitis that can be worked on with diet and meds (such as you are on right now) . The diet will be life time -- with meds possibily long term as well.

If there are liver enzyme abnormalities, a liver biopsy should be done. Please ask if they can visualize the liver or spleen, to please do so. Best wishes for a simple diagnosis.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

I was trying to print this so I could take it with me in the morning and is it just the site that will not allow you to print the answers ?

Thanks - Donna

Hi again --

It will let me print it out if I am not locked on the answer. So if you do not have the dialog box open -- it should print completely.

I just used the "file" then "print" while I was on the site.

Tried it with the dialog box open -- and it was blank.

No need to reply -- I used the info request box to reply so there would be no charges.

Did you get my last question about being able to print this

Hi again -- I just sent a reply back via info request --

I could not print with the dioalog box open -- but when closed -- it would print with simply using -- File and Print

I hope that helps