Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

my 18 pound puppy ate a 15 milligram percocet will she liv…

Customer Question
my 18 pound puppy ate...
my 18 pound puppy ate a 15 milligram percocet will she live
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/15/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

That is a lot of Tylenol (Acetaminophen) for a puppy that small. You need to get her treated asap. Tylenol will cause GI ulcers, liver failure and the inability of red blood cells to carry oxygen (methemoglobinemia).

We treat Tylenol toxicity by inducing vomiting, giving activated charcoal to bind any toxin left in the GI tract, place them on IV fluids for 12-48 hours and then meds to counter act the methemoglobinemia- Mucomyst, Vitamin C, Cimetidine. We also put them on a liver protectant- SAMe.

Will she live? If you get her the help she needs, yes she should do fine.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.