Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

min pin: wont eat..drinks..little red in it, an he lays dont an pees…

Customer Question
my dog is a mim...
my dog is a mim pin an is 10 yrs old he just started where he wont walk and wont eat the last tme he had any thing was last nite and he drinks very little water, he has the runs an there is a little red in it, an he lays dont an pees all over him self
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/15/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

If you stand him up will he support himself of is he paralyzed in the back?
Is the diarrhea like red water or jelly?
If he does walk, is he arched in the back?
Was he reluctant to jump up or go up stairs before this happened?
yes when he stand, after a min or two he will lay down, an wine. yes the diarrhea was brown an some red and yes like jelly , no there is no arch, yes he was going up an down his stairs
Ok thanks,

This type of stool sounds like a condition we call HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). Basically it's where there is bleeding of the GI tract and the diarrhea ends up looking like jelly or red water. The cause is often unknown but likely either infectious (bacteria/ viral) or stress induced.

Diagnosis is made on rectal exam and then checking a PCV (packed cell volume or red blood cell percentage). In normal dog's it's 35-50%. In dogs with HGE that number is > 60%.

Treatment is by rehydrating as they lose a lot of water and electrolytes into the colon. We usually put these dogs on IV fluids and IV antibiotics for 12-24 hours. Most will have a full recovery with aggressive treatment. Without treatment, many will resolve on their own but it can be fatal in severe cases if not treated.

I would get this dog seen tonight or with your vet in the morning and get the diagnosis confirmed then treatment started. If he's not vomiting, then oral antibiotics and some SubQ fluids may be all that is needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.