Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

i think my dog is pregnant should i feed her anything special…

Customer Question
i think my dog is...
i think my dog is pregnant should i feed her anything special to help her in her pregnancy and to help her babies?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/13/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

Most dogs do not need extra or special food until the last few weeks of pregnancy. If the abdomen gets larger and she starts looking thin, switch her to puppy chow at that time. It is higher in calories. You need to mix the new food with the old for a week during the change. This may not be needed if she is on high quality dry dog food already. If she has a very large litter, more than 8 pups, adding calcium supplements may be needed after they start nursing. Human Tums can be given once a day with meals.

am especially worried as my bitch is so young, 1yr on 8th july, can i give her anything to help or protect her while she is having her babies?

High quality food has all the nutrition needed to support a pregnancy. There are no 'prenatal' vitamins for dogs but there are several daily vitamin pills on the market. Your local pet store should carry them.