Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

my dog has been off his food the last few days, when he does…

Customer Question
my dog has been off...
my dog has been off his food the last few days, when he does eat he twists his head to the side and "yelps", i have tried to look in his mouth however he yelps and pulls away i cant see any obvious signs or any blood, this also happens when he yawns he yelps and his head twists inwards to the left

could you help ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/12/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

This degree of pain can indicate a bad tooth, a foreign body, a dislocated jaw or cervical neck pain. Tumors in the mouth are also possible but not common in a dog this young. The mouth has to be examined to rule out most of the causes. If he won't let you look in the mouth he needs to be sedated or under anesthesia to have it done. There is nothing to try at home without a specific diagnosis. He may need a tooth pulled, antibiotics or an anti-inflammatory depending on what is found.
he does have extra bad breath these last couple of days, he is playing as usual and very bouncy but as soon as he opens his mouth he backs down and yelps, if he does have a tumor what are the procedures as that scares me the most
There are several types of oral tumors dogs can get. None of them are good. Surgical removal is required in all cases and regrowth is not uncommon. In a dog this age I would be more suspicious of a bad or infected tooth than a tumor. Most oral tumors are not painful unless they affect the bones.
he has been booked into a vet for the next available day which is monday, would you give advise on anything to kill the pain for the time
Buffered aspirin is the only thing that can be used at home. It must be given with food or in can cause stomach upset. It is used at 5 mg per pound body weight every 12-24 hours as needed.
also with regards XXXXX XXXXX twisting his neck, i would describe it as if i pulled a neck muscle and i twist my neck inwards towards my shoulder, he does that, he has just let me have a look along his gum lines but i dont really know what am looking for i cant see any redness, after he has just opned his mouth though he is panting with his mouth open and no yelp he has also just barked !! he does have a passion for tea with sugar ?
The neck twist may be in response to a shooting pain if there is a bad tooth. Teeth can look perfectly healthy and still have a root infection you can't see.
i'm hoping its his tooth and not the "T" word he does seem to be shaking his neck and it doesnt seem to hurt him, its just when he opens his mouth
A bad tooth or a problem at the TMJ joint in the jaw are most common. Growths can occur at any age but are much more common in older dogs. 6 years is barely middle-aged for this breed.
as am in the UK am i able to buy BUFFERED ASPIRIN do we have an alternative solution
I know aspirin is sold in the UK but I don't know if it is a prescription drug. Your local pharmacist should know if you give them a call.