Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is throwing up and pooping blood.

My dog is throwing up...

My dog is throwing up and pooping diarrhea and blood. What do you think it is?

6/12/2010
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer!

I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

When did this start - how many minutes, hours or days ago?

Is she fully vaccinated?

It started today around one. Yes, she is fully vaccinated.

She ate a small amount of food at five but then threw it up again. Then I offered more but she didn't want it. So I offered water to her and she drank it but then threw it up two minutes later.

There are a lot of different possibilities for what may be going on with your Yorkie. The ones that I would be considering if she came to see me are:

1. One of the things that I think of first in a young dog is that she may have a Gastrointestinal Foreign Body.

Dogs eat the strangest things - plastic bags, children's toys, bones, bits of towel, socks, rocks and other things. Often, these foreign bodies pass through the intestinal tract, but sometimes they do not. They may get caught in the stomach or the small intestines.

The symptoms of a GI foreign body are generally vomiting, loss of appetite, depression and dehydration. If your dog consumed an object that is caught in the stomach or small intestines, it might explain the symptoms that you are seeing. This would be particularly true if the object were something like a ball that could bob over pylorus (outflow from the stomach) and then move away again. Thus, water could pass through but not food.

In the case of an obstruction, surgery is often needed to remove the foreign object. I will include further information about GI foreign bodies:

http://www.michvet.com/library/surgery_gi_foreign_body.asp

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastrointestinal-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If I examined your Yorkie and was concerned about a foreign body, I would probably recommend x-rays to see if a foreign object were visible. A rock would show up very well on x-rays. A plastic bag would not show up on x-rays. It does, however, show up very well if the dog is given some barium (a type of milkshake like drink) by mouth. Then a determination can be made about how best to get this out of the dog, or whether it might move through on its own.

2. I am concerned she may have HGE - hemorrhagic gastroenteritis.

This is a problem that tends to occur in small breed dogs, often when they are quite young (2-4 years is most common). It comes on very suddenly, with vomiting, diarrhea and frank blood in the stools.

Typically, these patients are very dehydrated and shocked. A blood test called the "packed cell volume" (PCV, hematocrit or HCT are other names for this) is often 60% or higher, which is a measure of how very dehydrated and shocked dogs with this problem are. HGE needs to be treated aggressively with IV fluids, anti-nausea medication, antibiotics and gastric protectants.

In terms of what causes this, the short answer is we don't know. There are many theories - a virus, some bacteria, a food poisoning, a parasite, stress. The bottom line is that we really just don't know. Most dogs that have HGE never have another episode, however.

With treatment, most dogs do recover from HGE and have no lasting problems. It does, however, take several days of treatment and supportive care.

For more information, here are some links:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23311.htm

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/hge.html

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/HGEindogs.htm

Now, I don't know that this is what is going on - it is the thing that worries me most because it is so serious. So, if your Yorkie's stool was like a pool of blood and she has diarrhea that is black and sticky, I do urge you to find an emergency veterinarian immediately!

3. Pancreatitis-

This is an inflammation of the pancreas, often triggered by a high fat meal. Cheese could certainly trigger this, though that amount of cheese does not seem much for a big dog. If she had a hamburger with that cheese, that would be more likely to trigger pancreatitis.

With "acute pancreatitis" dogs are very sick, with severe vomiting, painful belly and fever.

However, with a low-grade, chronic fulminant pancreatitis it is basically a "slow burn" version of acute pancreatitis. The pancreas remains inflamed, with periods of pain and nausea, and vomiting intermittently.

Pancreatitis is a serious medical problem and is diagnosed by having bloodwork done and possibly x-rays. Dogs with pancreatitis may need to go on a course of antibiotics to treat the chronic pancreatitis and may need a prescription food to "put out the fire" of this chronic problem. Typically, the diet is ultra-low fat. At first dogs may not want to eat it because of feeling nauseated and it does not tempt her. But with medications they soon feel *much* better and keep feeling well if they stay on an appropriate food.

For more information:

http://www.judithstock.com/Speaking_of_Animals/Pancreatitis_in_Dogs/pancreatitis_in_dogs.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1580&articleid=335

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2214

The bottom line is that there are a number of possibilities for what may be going on. Your vet would need to do a physical exam and possibly some diagnostic tests to figure out what the underlying problem is. I would start with a fecal sample, blood test and abdominal x-rays. It sounds like it is time to find out what is going on!

If she is feeling unwell at the moment, there are some things you can do at home until you can get her in to the vet:

1. WITH-HOLD FOOD for 24 hours since she has been vomiting today.

This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

2. When she is fasting, she can have lots of clear fluids. DO NOT START THESE UNTIL IT HAS BEEN 4 HOURS SINCE SHE LAST VOMITED!

So, water is fine, but also she can have chipped ice, Pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or onion -free chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1/8 cup every 30 min.

3. After 24 hours, you can start your dog back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 1 to 2 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal dog food.

So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve herself and back in.

If your Yorkie continues to vomit, has more blood in the stool, is lethargic or shows signs of abdominal pain, please contact an emergency veterinarian promptly.

Otherwise, please do see your veterinarian on Saturday morning before they close for the weekend!

I am afraid that her blood sugar is going to get extremely low. Can I go ahead and give her some water or gatorade? She also has a fast breathing rate. Is that normal when they feel bad?

Yes, fast breathing can be due to pain, nausea and many more things.

My concern is that if you give her gatorade now she may vomit again, which will only make her even MORE dehydrated.

Why don't you offer her 1 - 2 TEASPOONS of gatorade or apple juice now and see what happens.

I agree that low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) is always a concern in tiny dogs who are not taking in calories.

Here is more about it:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Let's try a tiny amount of the clear fluids with calories and see how she does. If she keeps it down, then 30 min later, you can repeat.

If she vomits it up, then she really does need to see a veterinarian right away!

Fiona

Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian