Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a pair of shoes, and got into the trash and I believe…

Customer Question
My dog ate a pair...
My dog ate a pair of shoes, and got into the trash and I believe just ate tissues, and paper towels. He was fine playful, and energetic yesterday, today he hasn't touched his food. I have now notice he hasn't had much water to drink as the day goes on. It looked as though he passed the pieces of the shoe, what should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/12/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and Geezer with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How many hours has it been since he ate all those things?

Any diarrhea?

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

Over 48 for the shoe and 24 for the trash. No diarrhea, the two bowel movements he had this morning were typical for him.

Kelly,

Geezer reminds me of my Beagle, who thought trash and kleenex were special treats just for him!

You asked if this is really a wait-and-see situation... and unfortunately, it really is, yes! I would not recommend medications as they can alter the pH of the stomach, making the acid there less acidic. This will slow down how quickly he might digest the things in there.

Dogs eat the strangest things - plastic bags, children's toys, bones, bits of towel, socks, rocks and other things. Often, these foreign bodies pass through the intestinal tract, but sometimes they do not. They may get caught in the stomach or the small intestines.

The symptoms of a GI foreign body (ie things that are NOT moving through) are generally vomiting, loss of appetite, depression and dehydration.

So, the fact Geezer is not vomiting is good... let's keep our fingers crossed!

In the case of an obstruction (things getting stuck), surgery is often needed to remove the foreign object.

I will include further information about GI foreign bodies:

http://www.michvet.com/library/surgery_gi_foreign_body.asp
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastrointestinal-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If I examined your boy and was concerned about a foreign body, I would probably recommend x-rays to see if a foreign object were visible. A rock would show up very well on x-rays.

Paper towels/kleenex would not show up on x-rays. It does, however, show up very well if the dog is given some barium (a type of milkshake like drink) by mouth. Then a determination can be made about how best to get this out of the dog, or whether it might move through on its own.

So, what CAN you do to help Geezer? Well, there are some things!

1. WITH-HOLD FOOD for 12 hours since he has not been drinking well today.

This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

2. When he is fasting, he can have lots of clear fluids.

Really encourage him to take small, frequent amounts of fluids!

So, water is fine, but also he can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or onion- free chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water.

Give the fluids in small amounts frequently.

For a dog this size that means about 1/2 to 1 cup an hour.

3. After 12 hours, you can start Geezer back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 1/2 cup every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal dog food.

So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Take Geezer on frequent, short walks.

For example, try to take him out for 5 to 10 minutes once every hour or two.

I do hope that things move through uneventfully, and he is back to feeling 100% soon!

If this has been helpful, please "Accept" my answer and provide feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will try to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona