Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yesterday I found our 10 week old shih tzu laying outside not…

Customer Question
Yesterday I found our 10...
Yesterday I found our 10 week old shih tzu laying outside not able to move, her head was tilted back to 1 side and she was drooling. At first I thought that our 4 yr old son hurt her. After about 5 min. she came around and peed and pooed right away after and she was still stumbling around for another 30 min or so. This morning she has been acting pretty normal. Now though she is drinking a lot and peeing a lot. What do you think it could be. I'm thinking a seizure.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/10/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- How long did it take her to come around from this episode?

2- What time did she eat yesterday morning before this happen?

It was probably around 10 minutes total for her to start walking right again and drinking some water.

I fed her around probably 3pm and this happened around 7pm.

You are right to suspect a possible seizure. In a dog this young with possible seizure could be related to a liver shunt (portosystemic liver shunt), which is a vein that bypasses the liver and dumps intestinal contents into the circulation causing central nervous system symptoms like seizures. I would recommend to have her checked by your veterinarian. They will do a general blood test, if this test is normal. Then, they will do a special type test (bile acid test) to rule in portosystemic liver shunt.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

If it does come back that she does have a portosystemic liver shunt, what can my vet do for that? Would she have to have surgery? Or is it something that she'll grow out of?
She will not grow out of it. She will require surgery to close the vessel. Once the surgery is done, she will have a normal life. In the absence of surgery she will continue to have neurological symptoms like seizures, stunted growth, etc.