Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

mixed breed: last two days my 8yr.

Customer Question
The last two days my...
The last two days my 8yr. old mixed breed female dog has urinated in the house and there were small drops of blood in the urine.

She is eating, drinking, normally. Yesterday she had trouble pooping, but today that seems to be OK.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/10/2010
Dog Veterinarian: DocDave, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
DocDave
DocDave, Veterinarian
Thanks for contacting me through Just Answer.

The most common cause of blood in the urine, by a considerable margin, is a bladder infection. The infection irritates the nerve endings in the bladder and send a false message to the brain that the bladder is full; hence, the accident in the house. You will probably observe that when she goes outside, Honey Dew squats repeatedly straining to urinate, even after her bladder is empty.

Uncomplicated bladder infections can almost always be treated successfully with a course of antibiotics. Most veterinarians use at least a three week course because urinary tract infections are famous for relapses with antibiotic resistance if they are not completely knocked out.

An occasional complication of bladder infections is bladder stones. Your veterinarian may want to do x-rays and/or an ultrasound of the bladder if he or she is suspicious of bladder stones after examining Honey Dew. They can be treated either surgically or by diet changes. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, so after you see your veterinarian if bladder stones show up, get back to me and we can talk over that aspect.

Bladder tumors exist in dogs, but they are considerably less common that stones, and stones are less common than uncomplicated bladder infections, so I would not worry about that possibility unless reasonable treatment of the other problems is unsuccessful or one of the diagnostic tests makes us suspicious enough to pursue that possibility.

Infections, stones, and tumors in the kidneys also exist, but they do not tend to produce the urgency in urinating that caused Honey Dew to tinkle in the house, and dogs with kidney problems look sicker than you describe.

So the upshot is that you need to see your local veterinarian, but this is not likely to be a big deal.

If you have any followup questions, please feel free to reply to this post. I will be checking back in on you periodically through the day.
Can I purchase an antibiotic on line?
No, all antibiotics worth a flip are prescription drugs, and all prescription drugs, by definition, require a doctor/client/patient relationship that includes a physical examination. In this instance, some preliminary evaluation for the possibility of bladder stones also needs to be performed.
If you have any other followup questions I would be glad to try to answer them. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please click "Accept" so that I receive appropriate credit for my consultation with you.