Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 8 year old Lab who had surgery to remove a mass in…

Customer Question
I have a 8 year...
I have a 8 year old Lab who had surgery to remove a mass in the left shoulder/neck area.He also had a chemo treatment 1 Week ago 7 days after surgery, he is eating and does play some. I know the chemo will keep him down but my feeling is he may have injured the area around the shoulder from going up and down steps and that is adding to making him lethergic, he is on pain pills and prednasone.Do you think the soreness in the shoulder and ribs are could still be from the surgery. It takes around an hour for the pain pills to kick in some and he gets those 2 times daily, and should we increase the dose. Thank you for yuor advice
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/10/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Andrea Roberts, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there

If the surgery was 2 weeks ago now, then although the skin surface will look healed, the tissues deep within the skin will still be healing and scarring down- so could still be causing some discomfort.

In addition to this- the chemo that he's had combined with the prednisone that he is taking, can both cause lethargy, so i certainly wouldn't expect him to be feeling his usual self- the fact that he's still playing is a really good sign.

I wouldn't advise increasing any of his pain pills or other medications, as with the combination of drugs he is on, its important that the doses remain as your vet originally prescribed.

Give him more time to make a recovery- i still think its early days yet.

Regards Andrea