Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has these round dry, scaly patches all over him. under

his arm and stomach is...
My dog has these round dry, scaly patches all over him. under his arm and stomach is red bumps, some with pus pockets. I also noticed that areound his anal are , he had dry scaly skin with pus poclets.What could this be, and what treatments do i need to do with him at home or is this requires a vet?
6/8/2010
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he itchy?

It has been off and on for like a month. we thought he was stressed due to us moving. It seems like it does itch because if i am peting him and scratching him he seems to like it when i rub the "areas"

1- How often do you bath him?

2- What do you use to bath him?

I use oatmeal shampoo that I buy from our vet. I bath him about every two to 3 weeks..he is inside dog and goes out to play n lay on the ground

The areas on his back and chest are red and inflammed and the ones on his tummy are red like aint bites.

That is a good shampoo and reasonable amount of time for a bath. The lesion you describe above are consistent with a bacterial infection (superficial pyoderma). These infections do not go away normally with antibacterial baths alone. They need to be treated with oral antibiotics for at least 2-3 weeks. Or, there is the potential for spreading deeper into the tissue and becoming more complicated. I would recommend you have your vet take a look and start him on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, pick up a shampoo called Chlorhexiderm and bath him 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks with chlorhexiderm shampoo.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Can I go to a pet store and pick this up or a veternarian..
Yes, or any antibacterial shampoo with the ingredient "chlorhexidine." You do not need a prescription and all pet store will carry a shampoo with chlorhexidine which is the active antibacterial ingredient in Chlorhexiderm.
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian