Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

my 2 week old puppy is sick. Short fast breaths. wont nurse

my 2 week old puppy is sick. Short fast breaths. won't nurse or bottle feed. looks bloated.
its breathing sounds like fluid gurgle. It is a runt, and had been eating till two days ago. He's a fourth the size of the others. the bitch had 8 puppies, one already passed first week.Kinda same symptoms it seems.All the others are very fat and happy/healthy. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could.

Based upon your description of the symptoms, she must get into a vet, today!

It could be something simple like a worm issue, but with the loss of one puppy already, we can't treat this at home.

We need a vet to do an evaluation, deworm, and do supportive care.

Think of it as an investment in the health of all the other puppies as well.

If you don't identify what is wrong with this puppy, you risk them all.

Well worth an examination, immediately.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: The answer is too generic and gives me no ideas!If i could afford a veterinarians office, i would already be there!.
The answer is too generic and gives me no ideas!If i could afford a veterinarians office, i would already be there!

I will opt out.

Generic answer.

This puppy is going to die as well. Short fast breaths. Bloated. Not eating for two days.

No ideas!

Ideas for what. What is happening. What is the point of giving you a differential list if you need a vet for supportive care.

I will opt out and let another expert address your question.

I am adamant about the need for veterinary care, and would encourage no further breeding of pets when financial restrictions prevent the ability to see a vet.

Call around!!!!Many vets will offer that free exam. At least get treatment recommendations based upon the exam findings.

Too generic. Insulting.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

You did not ask if wormers had been administered (which they had been right at two weeks on schedule), nor about its bowl movements, no questions at all.

What could the bloating be?, or the gurgling sound? At least give possibilities and not so vague. Yes probably time for the vet, but I could tell myself that much.

The response you gave sounds so generic, you could be replying to most all of these posts with that one reply!

Hello, I'll add a little but Dr Andy is correct in this puppy needs an exam.

As for a top differential, aspiration pneumonia is the most likely cause of labored breathing, anorexia and gurgling sounds when breathing. This is often due to inhaling/ aspirating milk into the lungs.

The diagnosis is made on auscultation of the lungs +/- chest x-rays.

We'll treat with oxygen, supportive care on fluids and antibiotics. To be honest, even with aggressive management we still lose the majority of these little guys.

It's probably going to end poorly, but even euthanasia would be a better way to go than drowning as the puppy is now.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The pneumonia is what I had suspected. Thats a good response. I like the honesty "even with aggressive management we still lose the majority of these little guys." You gave me possible scenario's, method of treatment for it, and the round about track record for success.

I feel I would be wasting money for a non-papered puppie. Euthanasia is what I will probably choose.

Is there anything I could have done previous to avoid this? Should I have burped the puppie at birth or something? Suction their nose fluid?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I need to get u paid, but waiting for reply on prev post questions. Don't want access to close yet.

Thanks,

There's not a whole lot you can do to prevent pneumonia in puppies. It's often the weak ones that won't have a good swallow/ suckle and they end up aspirating. Once it happens, it's downhill from there. Even suctioning won't get all fluid out of the lungs- so while it may help a little, the prognosis is still poor.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yeah, these two were the smallest of all. I appreciate your time.
Thank you.
You're welcome.