Doctor W
Doctor W, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years practicing small animal medicine and surgery
21789755

can i use neosporin on my dogs paw - he has a small scape that

can i use neosporin on my dogs paw - he has a small scape that looks alittle raw

Thank you for submitting your question to Just Answer

Before I can provide a meaningful answer, I'd like a little more information, please.

Is your dog licking the sore?

Do you know how it happened?

How long has it been there?

Doctor W

No doctor patient relationship is formed by this communication. This advice is no substitute for a complete physical examination and appropriate diagnostics provided by a licensed veterinarian.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I noticed it for the first time about an hour ago and saw him lick it once - he is not licking it excessively. We live in Austin Texas and every year the exact same month he gets into something in the park that causes his back feet to swell and get red. If he licks them alot before i get him to the vet for a steriod shot he ends up with some sores and has to take an antibiotic. He got his shot and is on his 4th day of ciprofloxacin. His rear feet were looking better and the red and swelling are gone but this evening on our walk I noticed a small raw score on the side of his rear foot and thought neosporin might help heal it.

O.K.

Neosporin is safe to use. Apply twice a day. If you cover it, be sure that you do not cause a constriction of the blood supply (no tape all the way around the foot).

If there is any swelling or discharge, then you need to have him seen by your veterinarian.

Doctor W

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

is neosporin hareful if they lick it off if you dont cover the scrape?

Neosporin is non-toxic when applied in a typical fashion (small amount gently rubbed onto the affected area).

Doctor W