My 14yr old collie x is having breathing trouble on movement its not all the time though

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my 14yr old collie x is having breathing trouble on movement its not all the time though
Answered by LindaR in 10 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
LindaR
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello

I'm sorry to hear that Penny is not doing well.

Breathing difficulties associated with exercise can be caused by a number of conditions. The most common cause seen is heart failure, where fluid builds up either in the lungs or between the lungs and chest wall, which occupies space needed for obtaining oxygen. Primary lung conditions, and here we unfortunately need to consider cancer in an elderly dog, can also cause the same symptoms. Sometimes coughing occurs, but it is not consistent. Anemia can also cause apparent breathing difficulties when exercising, as decreased red blood cells means less oxygen carrying capacity of the blood.

I would advise that you take Penny to see your vet. He will probably want to do blood work and may suggest a chest x ray. For heart disease, there is a variety of medication that can be given that can improve the animal's quality of life even though the condition cannot be cured, so finding out the cause of her breathing trouble is important.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

LindaR
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
LindaR
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
LindaR
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.