We have a shelter dog that is part Besenji and rat terrier. He is about 3 years old and we have had him about 11/2

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a shelter dog that is part Besenji and rat terrier. He is about 3 years old and we have had him about 11/2 years. His issue is that if I enter a room where my wife is, he will atttack me. He has drawn blood several times. He does avoid me when my wife and I are in the same room but will come and put his head on my lap if he wants to go out. I'm ready to return him to the shelter. What are your thoughts.
Answered by LindaR in 5 hours 12 years ago
imglogo
LindaR
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello

It really depends on how severely the situation is affecting your daily life and how much work you are able to do to address the problem. It sounds as though Max has become 'possessive' over your wife and is trying to 'protect' her from you. Maybe he originally came from a household with an abusive man and this behavior stems from his past experiences. You never know what these shelter dogs have been through.

If you are willing to try and correct the problem, I would strongly recommend the services of an animal behaviorist. They do consultations in the home with all concerned and are usually able to identify the cause of the problem and can work with you to overcome the situation. Contact your vet for a recommendation. This will take a lot of hard work on your part, but with time and patience, these situations can often resolve.

Unfortunately, if you don't feel that you can do that or if this fails, he may have to go back to the shelter, and your decision would be quite understandable.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

LindaR
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
LindaR
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
LindaR
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.