I have a small dog weighing 7.5 lbs who started about 10 days ago not jumping down from the couch or going up stairs.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a small dog weighing 7.5 lbs who started about 10 days ago not jumping down from the couch or going up stairs. I've taken him to the vet and she suspects disc problem in his back. He received a shot of steroids and I've been giving him a steroid pill daily and an anti-inflammatory since Thursday but will little change. Could it be something else? Should I take him back to my vet or to the emergency room. I also have a rottie; they get along fine but he may have stepped on him...I just don't know.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Donna
Answered by LindaR in 30 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
LindaR
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello Donna

If the medication is not having an effect I would consider taking him back to see your vet if he is no better over the next couple of days. Back problems can take a while to clear, but you should start to see an improvement over a week.

You have not mentioned whether x rays were taken, but that probably needs to be done to check the spine and check for signs of disc protrusion into the vertebral canal. Sometimes you do not see changes on x ray as you can only visualize the body structures, but it is an important initial diagnostic tool. If there is no improvement and a back problem is still suspected, your vet would probably recommend an MRI scan.
Other potential causes for reluctance to climb or jump include arthritis or abdominal pain, although the latter is usually accompanied by other symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea.

It is very important to monitor the degree of pain and also neurological function of the hind limbs, that is how he is positioning them when he walks. If he starts to drag the legs he needs urgent attention.

Please ensure that he is also getting strict rest - no climbing stairs, jumping on or off the couch or going for walks for the next week. Rest is a very important part of therapy for back pain.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you and that your little dog recovers soon.

LindaR
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
LindaR
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
LindaR
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.