Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog started with vomitting about 4 days ago and now it has

turned into bloody diarrhea. Tonight...
My dog started with vomitting about 4 days ago and now it has turned into bloody diarrhea. Tonight, she has vomitted 4 times and had diarrhea as well. Could she have a parasite and can I wait to take her to my vet in the moring as opposed to a 24 hour vet tonight? Is there anything I can do in the meantime to keep her relaxed?
5/11/2010
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

What colour is Belle's vomitus?

is she on any medications at all?

is the diarrhea a pool of blood, or is it a soft jelly-like stool with a small streak of blood?

Fiona

Her vomit was clear and now it is a milky white color. She just vomitted again.

No medications currently.

The diarrhea is jelly-like with small blood but towards the end it is primarily blood.

Ok, thanks for that information!

And over how many hours has she vomited 5 times? Is that within the last hour, or within the last 6 hours... or other?

Was there anything that you know of that Belle got in to before this all started (garbage, people food, etc)?

how many hours until your vet opens?

She has been vomiting in the last hour or so.

Not that I am aware of..occasionally she gets into sticks and that upsets her stomach, but I don't recall anything out of the ordinary when all this started happening.

The vet opens in roughly 5 hours.

And how much does Belle weigh?

25 pounds.

She is not shaking and panting(I know the panting is just from being nervous, I think).

Was that she is NOW shaking and panting...

Or she is NOT shaking and panting?

is she able to walk, or too weak?

Does her belly seem painful if you put your hands under her and press upwards?

She is now shaking and panting.

She is able to walk. She just went outside for more diarrhea. Mostly bloody with a very disticincitve smell.

Her belly seems fine when I push on it.

My vet said this had been going around and recommend immodium, which I gave her this evening.

She has also had anal gland issues in the past. He cleaned them out about a month ago.

Ok - I have been working on your answer!

I am assuming that Belle is up to date on her vaccines. Is this right?

Yes she is...she gets them semi annually.

Thanks.

What you are describing in Belle sounds like she may have colitis. This is an inflammation of the colon.

With colitis, dogs tend to have
one or more of the following:

- more frequent bowel movements,

- a sense of urgency (which can lead to accidents in the house),

- sometimes straining, and

- mucus and even blood on the stools.

The stools often start out a bit soft, or pudding like and become gelatinous, shiny and mucoid as it progresses. The colon normally makes mucus to help the stool to pass along, so when it is inflamed it makes a lot of mucus, and also can have erosions that lead to bleeding.

Colitis could be caused by a large number of different things. Examples are stress, dietary indiscretion (eating something she shouldn't have), bacterial and viral infections, and parasites. In a sensitive dog, even a one-meal food change could trigger this.

If a dog with no history of stress were to come in to my hospital, and we didn't have to consider money (so I could do all the tests I would want to do!)I would start with a physical exam and then a number of tests to rule out parasites and bacterial infections. I would treat accordingly.

They are as follows:

- fecal analysis to rule out hookworms, whipworms and coccidia
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intestinal-parasites-in-dogs/page1.aspx

- an ELISA test for Giardia. Giardia used to be hard to diagnose, but this test is fast and easy and accurate.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

- a fecal smear to look for Campylobacter
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2232
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/campylobacteriosis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

- a fecal culture (sent out to a lab) to check for Clostridium or other unusual bacteria. This test takes 3-4 days.

Then, if the dog were my patient, I would see how the dog responded to treatment as follows:

- fibre trial - I would start the dog on Metamucil or canned pumpkin (not pie filler). I usually suggest 1 tsp per 10 lbs body weight given 2 or 3 times a day of Metamucil, or 2 tablespoons twice daily per 10lbs body weight of Pumpkin. Do this for at least one week.

- medication trial:
I would try metronidazole (http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/metronidazole-flagyl/page1.aspx) as a first line treatment but there are a number other drugs that can be helpful too:
Panacur (fenbendazole, http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/fenbendazole-panacur/page1.aspx) ,
Tylosin (http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/tylosin-tylan/page1.aspx )
and even steroids (prednisone http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/prednisone-prednisolone/page1.aspx )

Now, in terms of what people can do at home for dogs that I have seen and diagnosed with colitis, I suggest the following:

1. When she has an episode of diarrhea and/or mucus + blood on the stool, you should WITH-HOLD FOOD! Do not offer her regular food for 24 hours. This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

2. When she is fasting, she can have lots of clear fluids.

WAIT until it has been 4 hours since she last vomited, and then give only 1/4 cup every 30 min to be sure she is able to keep it down.

So, water is fine, but also she can have unflavoured pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or onion free chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water.

Give the fluids in small amounts frequently.

3. After 24 hours if the diarrhea has stopped, you can start your dog back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 2-3 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal diet and food.

So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve herself and back in.

6. When treating nausea and vomiting in patients that I see, I usually have them on something to block stomach acid production. The drug I usually reach for in dogs is famotidine, which is Pepcid. You can buy it at your local pharmacy.

Legally, I cannot prescribe medications for a dog that I have not seen!

However, I can tell you that in a 25 lb dog that I had examined, I would use 1 full 10mg tablet every 8 hours for 4 days. Then, I would drop to 1 full tablet every 12 hours for 3 days.

Here is more about famotidine, including
dose:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

If she were my patient, I would add in the Pepcid now to try to get her to stop vomiting.

I'll give you links to further information about colitis:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=677
http://www.dogsworldwide.com/articles/infofile/if_bpn10.htm

Another thing which I should mention is that in patients that I see, just like your vet I quite often prescribe Imodium (loperamide) to help resolve diarrhea, as long as the dog is not a herding breed like a border collie. It is quickly effective, and I have people use it for 1 or 2 days.

More here about it, including dose:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/loperamide-imodium/page1.aspx

If your girl continues to pass blood or mucus, or continues vomiting, or develops anything that is brown or red in her vomitus, then you MUST go see an emergency veterinian tonight as she will get so dehydrated she could go into shock.

Otherwise, do see your vet as soon as they open so she can be treated!

Your vet may want to start her on metronidazole and anti-nausea medications which are very quickly effective at helping to make dogs with colitis feel better.

I hope that helps you. If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Thank you for your assistance.

One more thing, she has recently started eating grass and feces. Could this be a sign of anything?

how recently?

Within the last few days...right after she started having diarrhea.

Hmmm... some dogs will start eating grass in an attempt to make themselves vomit, especially if they are feeling nauseated. It is "nature's way" of trying to help them get rid of toxins they may have eaten.

Eating feces is not uncommon in dogs, but I can't think why Belle would start that now! If she had started that before she got ill, it would make me suspicous that this is all due to Giardia as that is infectious and she could get it from eating stool.

I hope that she feels much better soon! Please take her to an emergency vet tonight if she continues to vomit. it is very worrying when they are losing fluids from both ends as they so quickly get dehydrated!

Best wishes,
Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian