Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a pug and she started where she wanted to hide from

Customer Question
us thru out the day...
I have a pug and she started where she wanted to hide from us thru out the day. I remember reading that dogs will do this if they are sick.. So I started checking her over and look at her vulva area it is red and swollen like a cauliflower. It almost looks like some things are hanging out or just swollen out. She does not seem to be running a temp. she is restless. What can we give her until we can get her to the vet.
We have pain meds but they are mine...I'm also not sure if she has urinated today.
Just want ti do something for her.....Can you help. Thank You, XXXXX
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/5/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. I assume she has not been spayed? If she hasn't, when was her last heat cycle? What do the things that are hanging out of her vulva look like? Is it possible for you to take a picture of it and post it to your next message, using the "tree" icon on the toolbar above?
Yes she has been spayed..not able to send pic.. The thing or things around the inflamed area look s like the the size of a eraser or pinkie finger tip. Is there anything I can give her til am.. we live in a very small town..hard to get a vet this h of the nite..

Thanks for the information. Either she has a vaginal prolapse, a tumor growing out of the vagina or an os penis. An os penis is a vestigial penis seen with hermaphroditic or pseudo hermaphroditic dogs. Actually, pugs seem to be over represented with this condition. Sometimes, it is not evident until later in life. I wouldn't put it at the top of my rule out list, though. Without knowing what is going on with her, it is difficult to say what medications will help. The only somewhat safe human medication you can give a dog is enteric coated aspirin (the dose is below). Even then, with any pre-existing liver disease, kidney disease, gastrointestinal ulcer or pre-existing bleeding problem; aspirin can make it worse. All other human pain medications and anti-inflammatories are off limits for dogs. Feel around her abdomen near her rear legs. If you feel a large, firm, water balloon type structure, then she may have a urinary blockage from whatever is coming out of her vulva. That is bad and usually constitutes an emergency situation that needs to be dealt with immediately. If she truly hasn't urinated and is not even producing urine, I would be concerned about acute kidney failure. In that case, aspirin would be a very bad choice. If no blockage is detected, and you don't have access to an emergency vet, the best thing to do is to keep her in a warm, comfortable spot overnight and have her to your vet first thing in the morning. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

the first thing I thought was a prolapse. Just one more question . because of the redness can I put any type of cream on the area? it seems like it happened so quicky.

It probably won't hurt to put some triple antibiotic ointment on it, but I wouldn't use anything else. It is unlikely to get rid of the problem, but it may help from infection. If it is a prolapse. The longer it is left out, the worse the condition can get. Hope this helps.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian