Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog lost a toenail, nothing left but the quick. She has

been on clindamycin and some...
My dog lost a toenail, nothing left but the quick. She has been on clindamycin and some rimadyl. This occured one week ago. She does not appear as sensitive. There does not appear to be any heat or swelling in her toe. How long should it take for her nail to grow back?
5/4/2010
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Is there any bleeding from it anymore?

Fiona

There has been no more bleeding since the initial incident.

Excellent!

This is a really common problem that I see at my hospital. It is called an avulsed nail.

Usually, the exposed "quick" is covered in a new nail in about 2 weeks and a new nail is almost normal in length in 4 weeks. You will have to start trimming it by about 8 weeks!

So, I ask people to keep their dogs on sidewalks and out of sand, snow and mud for a couple of weeks.

For more information:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/torn-toenail-in-dogs/page1.aspx

In terms of improving the strength of weak, brittle nails, you might want to try giving Essential Fatty Acids, orally. These improve hair coat and nail strength, but they take about 8 to 12 weeks before you can see any improvement. EFA-Z and DermCaps are a couple of brands.

http://www.vetamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=Efa+Z+Plus+Liquid

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/derm-caps/page1.aspx

I hope that this helps you to help your dog!

If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback. If you need more information, just click on reply and I will be back to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes to you and your dog!

Fiona

Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian