Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my yorkie is limping on his left rear leg but does noy yelp

Customer Question
when i try to see...
my yorkie is limping on his left rear leg but does noy yelp when i try to see whats wrong. what could this be?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/1/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

How long has this been going on?

Is he limping or holding the leg up?

Is there any swelling on the leg?
off and on for 2 weeks sometimes it is okay and he walks on it he does not hold it up and there doesnt seem to be sweeling
In this breed of dog there are a few things that will cause lameness. A luxating knee cap would be most common. It occurs because the leg bone grooves are so shallow that the knee cap can pop in and out of place. If the problem becomes chronic, surgery can be done to correct it. Most small dogs do not require surgery unless the leg becomes arthritic or painful. A ligament injury in the knee is also possible. Partial tears require rest and an anti-inflammatory. Complete tears require surgery. The other problem known to the breed is a hip problem. The ball of the femur loses it's blood supply and part of the bone dies and the joint becomes unstable. Surgery is needed in all cases. Radiographs are needed for diagnosis.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian