Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can I use a little tobradex on my dog gooky eye, after I…

Customer Question
Can I use a little...
Can I use a little tobradex on my dog "gooky"" eye, after I wash the eye area gently with a warm clean washcloth? He's a little yorkie who otherwise seems fine, but the affected eye has a slightly pinker conjunctiva, and doesn't open as fully.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/1/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 7 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Absolutely, I would not use it.

Why?

Containing a steroid (the "dex" in the name of the product), you could really exacerbate a corneal ulcer being present on the eye.

This is the first rule vet's are not supposed to break. We always do a simple eye stain test to know if any corneal scratch or injury exists first.

also, it sounds like he may also need an oral antibiotic as well.

I would only clean with some warm water, nothing else, until you consult the vet.

The most common eye tests performed by your veterinarian:

Eye Stain Test for Ulcers

.

Tear test for Dry Eye

.

Glaucoma Eye Pressure Test

Especially, with some blepharospasm (eye not opening all the way), well worth getting into a vet today.

Good Luck

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director