Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog keeps getting eye infections, her eyes are red and weepy

Customer Question
and sometimes she finds it...
my dog keeps getting eye infections, her eyes are red and weepy and sometimes she finds it hard to open them!! the vet keeps giving us drops which i find very hard to get in!! we took her for a walk last night and when we got back they were both really bad!! i think she has an allergy to something, could it be grass??
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/27/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Yes, it could be an allergy. She might be allergic to grass or pollens or dust. Is your veterinarian sure she doesn't have distichiasis (lash in an abnormal place) or entropion or ectropion which could predispose her to conjuctivitis/ Where drops are hard to get in, ointments last longer and might be easier to do. give her a treat every time after you treat her so she can come to think something nice will happen. In case it is an allergy you might put her on antihistamine tablets to see if that cuts down on the redness. You can get benadryl she can have 5 or 10 mg two times daily OR chlorpheniramine 4 mg tabs 1 two times a day. These are available over the counter.
thats great!! the two form of tablets are those the ones that we would take of are they special dog ones?
They are human ones from the drug store.
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian