Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate a leaf from an aloe vera plant day before yesterday

and since then has a...
My dog ate a leaf from an aloe vera plant day before yesterday and since then has a loss of appetite, is lethargic, doesn't play as usual, is drinking a lot of water, and not having as many bowel movements. We didn't realize it until we saw the broken off leaf. Is it to late to induce vomiting, if that would be the correct thing to do in this case?
4/25/2010
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Yes, this is too late to induce vomiting. You have to catch it in 2-4 hours to have vomiting be effective. This is not a toxic plant, but it can cause GI irritation and nausea/ vomiting/ diarrhea which it sounds like you're seeing a mild case of. The signs are self limiting in that they will resolve on their own with or without treatment.

What I would do to help with the GI upset is give Pepcid (Famotidine) over the next 3-5 days. The dose is 0.25 mg/lb and you can give it every 12-24 hours.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
What is Pepcid (Famotidine) ? I am 70 years and can't get out to the store right now. I have things in the house like pepto bismol, pepcid complete tablets, tums, alka seltzer, and many other types of people medicines.
It's an antacid made for people. Pepcid Complete would be fine- give 0.25 mg of the Famotidine (10 mg per tab) per lb body weight.
She is under 10 lbs. Would that compute to about 2 tablets?
No, that would be 1/4 of a tablet once daily
Thank you for your help. I am happy to pay the fee.
You're welcome!
Be sure to click accept, thanks!
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian