Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog ate a 20mg pill of lisinopril. she is a 4lb yorkie terrier.

what can happen?...
my dog ate a 20mg pill of lisinopril. she is a 4lb yorkie terrier. what can happen?
4/25/2010
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 6 month old Yorkie, Prissie who has ingested a 20mg lisinopril tablet. A dose this high could be quite dangerous for this girl and we really do need to get her to vomit this back up asap. The danger of leaving her as is having ingested the tablet is that her blood pressure could drop dangerously low with a dose this high in such a small girl.

For the above reasons, I would like you to either take your girl to the emergency Vet to induce vomition or use the following protocol to do so! If she has eaten this within the last 3 - 4 hours then she vomit this up without a problem. If it has been longer, I would recommend getting her down to your Vet for monitoring and supportive care if/when needed.

If you want to try and get this girl to vomit from home, you can use Hydrogen peroxide from home if you have a 3% solution. See below for details of use:
  • Hydrogen peroxide 3%: 2 - 3 ml (half a teaspoon) via the mouth, may be repeated once. Make sure the hydrogen peroxide is active i.e. it should bubble and fizz. Feeding a few pieces of bread may improve vomiting efficiency and give bulk to push out the agent.

You can also obtain some liquid paraffin from your local drug store and give a couple of teaspoons of this on some of his food to help things through. If in doubt, definitely get her to your local ER Vet within the next hour or two. Here they can also keep an eye on her and ensure her blood pressure doesn't drop to dangerous levels. Best of luck and please let me know how you get on.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian