CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

3 yr old yorkie experiencing seizures of some sorts - walks

3 yr old yorkie experiencing seizures of some sorts - walks in circles, head down, eyes
glazed over and staring. If I try to hold her to comfort her, she whines. She recently was hit by my gdaughter so I took her to vet - xrays and blood work are fine. When she experiences these episodes, they may last as long as 2 hours. She was given pain meds for the hit, and if she experiences these episodes for 2 hours, I crush 1/4 of the tablet and give it to her. Withing a few minutes, she appears to be herself, but somewhat tired.
How can I be sure that these episodes are actually seizures and that she is not in pain and am I endangering her by giving her the pain med while she is in episode?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

During the episode, is she responsive to you if you call her name?

Does she ever fall over and twitch her legs?

-
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has only been doing this for a week. She shakes really bad, and calling her name is XXXXX XXXXX doesn't hear you. She just continues to walk holding close the walls. When she finds a darked covered place, she will hide there. If you try to talk to her, she will move elsewhere. She has never fell over, but I notice that right before she has an episode and is asleep on the couch, her feet will twitch and sometimes she will straighten her front legs. She is totally non-responsive during the episode. Toward the end of the episode, she will begin panting excessively.
Thank you for your reply!

From what you report above, this does not appear to be a classic seizure event.

Regarding pain you are seeing - if this is not a strain or sprain, another possible cause from the incident could be the start of a herniated disc compressing the spinal cord in the neck (cervical) region.

This link will provide pictures and information on this:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2785

Another possible cause may be an inner or middle ear infection as the signs happen as well when shaking the head.

What I think would be less likely based on the intermittent signs would be an Infectious or inflammatory cause such as meningitis or encephalitis.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2074

If your veterinarian is unsure of the cause and testing has been done yet no information about the cause has been found, I would recommend seeing a specialist.

Either an orthopedic specialist or a neurologist would be best as they have the best understanding of the parts of the body I am most concerned about with your history.

I hope this information is helpful :)
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has these episodes ususally around 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. I am financially unable to seek extensive testing and it is not offered in our city. Do you know of any pet organization that offers assistance. I love my AnnaBella and cannot imagine life without her. Thank you so much for offering this service.
You are very welcome!

I would trying contacting your local ASPCA or Humane Society as they can often offer lower cost care than a private practice veterinary hospital.

I hope this information is helpful :)