Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.
24683783

my dog has an enlarged heart what can be done to help her

my dog has an enlarged heart what can be done to help her. the last 2 days she seems to breath real heavy and she is starting to cough what med will help ease her condition. she is about 90% blind but gets around good and eats drinks water and goes to the bathroom good.
I do not know why your vet said he can not help her. The usual treatment for a dog with an enlarged heart starting to cough and have breathing difficulties is to limit her salt intake. There is priscription diet HD by Hill's. If you are to cook for her, check out hillspet.com for ideas on what to feed. Then I would use a diuretic and perhaps enalopril. Is there something more here that the vet is concerned about or is he just not into cardiology. Best seek a second opinion because often heart medication can give these dogs a lot of good quality life.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I KNOW A DIURETIC IS A WATER PILL WHAT IS ENALOPRIL?
Enalapril (sorry I spelled it incorrectly before) is an ACE inhibitor or a vasodilating agent. You might also need digoxin. If there is a veterinary School in your state call them and either go there or ask if they have a list of Internal medicine specialists near you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WHAT IS DIGOXIN?
It is a substance derived from the fox glove plant, digitalis. It makes the beat of the heart more forceful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU I KNOW SHE WILL NOT LIVE ALOT LONGER JUST WANT HER TO HAVE GOOD DAYS AND TRY TO DO GOOD BY HER , I'M VERY PLEASED I GOT YOU FOR MY EXPERT. TKS BEVERLY