I have a and brindle staffie cross she is 3 now. The problem with daisy is that when we have any kind of hot weather she

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi i have a white and brown brindle staffie cross she is 3 now. The problem with daisy is that when we have any kind of hot weather she burns really bad on her under belly it gets very sticky and raw her face gets burnt to but never as bad as her belly.and she's so out of sorts when this happens
Answered by LindaR in 13 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
LindaR
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello

Unfortunately, sun burn in dogs has the same possible side effect as in people, as in it predisposes the dog to developing skin cancer at a later stage.

For the moment, you are going to have to keep her out of the sun while the sunburn heals. If you are using a cream, make sure it doesn't contain any ingredients that can be harmful to your dog. A cream from the vet may be a safer option. When she starts going out again, apply sunscreen every morning to her belly and the areas on her face that tend to get burned. You can buy special doggy sunscreen or use children's SPF 15 sunscreen. Please make sure that the product you use does not contain PABA, as this can be toxic to dogs.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

LindaR
Customer
Every thing you have told me here has been tried with her. In the summer i use childrens spf 50 sunscreen still no joy with that.Plus daisy is controlled while she is out i never let her stay out any longer than 10 min.This is why im online now cause i really dont know what to do any more.
I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas, as usually the daily application of the sunscreen is sufficient. I am going to unlock this question to see if anyone else has any other ideas.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
LindaR
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
LindaR
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.