Dr. Jaime
Dr. Jaime, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Mobile vet-dog and cat practice. 3 years exp. in dog/cat practice/rescue. Derm and medicine interest
32340278

Is it ok to put hydrocortisone 1% cream on my dogs hot spot

Is it ok to put hydrocortisone 1% cream on my dog's hot spot? My vet gave him a shot and he is on Clavamox (125mg) tables 2x a day, he also said to keep it clean with Peroxide. It has been a week since he went to the vet. The spot is under his chin, so he scratches it, and rubs his chin on the carpet. The scab came off today, but the area is still raw and oozing.
Hello, I'm Dr. Jaime and I'd like to help. Do you know what kind of shot your dog received? Was is a steroid injection? In most cases hydrocortisone 1% cream is not strong enough as a topical for dogs and if your dog already received a steroid injection it is not recommended to also use topical steroids.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do believe it was a steroid injection, the receipt does not say.
Do you remember if the liquid injection was a white color?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it was white.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do believe it was a steroid injection, the receipt does not say. It was white in color. So you are saying I need to take the cream off and keep up with Peroxide
Ideally, yes, do not use any more steroids. What I prefer to use for local treatment of hot spots is clipping the area and then applying Domeboro's (aluminum acetate) solution (prepared to package directions- I believe it is one packet to 1 cup of water) and apply as a compress twice daily for 15 minutes. This dries the lesion up and decreases itching, and it is available and most human pharmacies OTC. You could also call your veterinarian and ask what they recommend. There is a stronger topical steroid that we use in dogs called betamethasone, but again, the white injection given is a long acting steroid and I would not recommend more steroids in this case.