Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Is there an OTC substitute for Rimadyl?

IS THERE A OVER THE...
IS THERE A OVER THE COUNTER SUBSTITUTE FOR RIMADYL
3/25/2010
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Is she on this for arthritis?

Fiona

ITS MY SISTERS DOG SHE MAY HAVE DAMAGED HER LEG DR SAYS MAY REQUIRE SURGERY BUT MY SISTER CANNOT AFFORD TESTS TO DETERMINE OR THE SURGERY

Oh, I see...

And is the leg injury a cranial cruciate ligament rupture (back leg, knee joint)?

BACK LEG LIGAMENT
Ok!

It sounds like your sister's dog has stretched or ruptured his cranial cruciate ligament.

This is something humans get as well, but in humans it is called Anterior Cruciate Ligament.

The cranial cruciate ligament is one of the structures that stabilizes the knee joint. It is prone to problems, especially in overweight dogs. If the dog is in motion, and the lower leg is held still (by going down a hole, getting caught on a string, etc) while the upper leg keeps moving forward, there will be damage to this cranial cruciate ligament.

The symptoms seen are usually a sudden onset of hind-end lameness, with toe touching seen at standing and walking, but the dog often carries the leg when running.

Here is more information about this problem:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1569&articleid=474

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1975

And you can see more here in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jg9E2nBt_E

Now, you were asking about Rimadyl.

Rimadyl is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).

Aspirin is probably the best known drug in this class of drugs. Rimadyl, however, is much safer than aspirin, and much more effective (and expensive, unfortunately).

Here is more about Rimadyl:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1303&articleid=1384

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/carprofen-rimadyl-novox/page1.aspx

So, there is NO over the counter equivalent for Rimadyl, unfortunately.

If your sister's dog has injured her cruciate ligament, she needs to be very stricly rested. If she has merely stretched it, then rest may allow it to heal. If it has ruptured, if she is over 25lbs, then surgery would be the best option for her.

Be particularly careful with her if she has to go UP stairs as this is when all her weight is on the back legs and she is more likely to do additional damage.

To help your dog to get up the stairs at night, I would recommend using a "sling" that you can make yourself.

Take a long bath towel, and fold it 3 or 4 times lengthwise, so that you have a long and thin shape. Put this under her belly, as far back as possible, so it is under her hips. Now, bring the ends up over her back so that you can hold the ends above her. With this, you can lift almost all her weight by using this sling, and thus really help her up the stairs. She can walk herself, with you right beside her taking her weight on the sling to help her. This is a really good way to help her up stairs or up into the car - or any time she has to go UP!

Alternatively, you could consider the “Bottoms Up” leash to help her with stairs:

http://www.bottomsupleash.com/?gclid=CJb21ZzyhZ4CFQk75QodxBcWoQ

I understand that you may have financial concerns as so many people do in this economy. I can give you some suggestions for where to turn for financial aid.

I'd start with the local animal shelters to see if they know of any low cost or subsidized vet care in your area.

And this site has a very comprehensive list of financial resources:

http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html

Of these, the most reliable one in terms of providing assistance is www.carecredit.com. I have heard very good reports about them!

I hope that this helps you to help your sister's dog!

If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

ARE THERE ANY NATURAL PRODUCTS AVAILABLE?

Sorry for the delay- I stepped away from the computer to have dinner with my family.

For chronic arthritis, there are some natual remedies that can help. For an acute injury like a cruciate rupture, these are less likely to be effective, but you could always try.

1. Try glucosamine.

This supplement is very safe, and is helpful in the majority of dogs. It usually takes 6-8 weeks on this supplement to see improvement.

Doses I use are:

250-500mg for 10-25lb.
500mg-1000mg for25-50lb.(NNN) NNN-NNNNg for 50-100lbs.
1,000mg-2,000mg for over 100 lbs.

I suggest these amounts be given 3 times daily for 2 months, then drop to twice daily thereafter.

http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/glucosamine/glucosamine-product-guide.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1276&articleid=1176

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=670

2. Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids

With my arthritic dog patients, I put them on a dietary source of essential fatty acids (Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids) daily added to the food. Your vet would be able to provide these for you. These do not provide instant relief, but help to decrease inflammation in the body. Again, it takes about 8 weeks to see improvement.

Some brands are DermCaps and EFA-Z
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Derm+Caps-prod10062.html
http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/ALLERDERM-EFA-Z-PLUS

3. Turmeric (curcumin)

Yes, this is the spice that you purchase at your grocery store! Make sure it is fresh. You can purchase empty capsules from a pharmacy and put the turmeric in them, or you can mix it in with some tasty canned food or human baby food in meat flavours (make sure there are no onions or onion powder in the baby food).

The dose is 1/4 tsp given once daily for a small dog or a cat, up to 1/2 tsp once daily for a large dog. Many humans take this to help with arthritis, and it seems to be very helpful for pets, too!

I hope that helps!

If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback. If you need more information, just click on reply and I will be here to provide it.

Best wishes to you and to your dog!

Fiona

Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian