Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have dogs with diarrhea, how much probiotic should they get

? They are about...
I have dogs with diarrhea, how much probiotic should they get ? They are about 10# XXXXX 14# XXXXX
3/15/2010
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would like to help you and your dogs with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

When did the diarrhea start?

Any vomiting?

Are their stools mucoid (jelly like) at all?

What brand of probiotic do you have on hand?

Fiona

diarrhea started last week, about thurs.

one dog has vomited, the other has not.

one dog has mucoid stool, the other has explosive -watery diarrhea.

probiotic on hand is for human consumption- with high live culture count.

have been feeding rice 1/2 cu with 1-2 Tbsp yogart/ dog x twice/day

Ok!

And are both dogs having increased urgency with accidents in the house, or sudden urgent trips outside?

Do you know what triggered the diarrhea - a change in food? a change in routine? stress?

Are both dogs active and energetic, or are they lethargic and depressed?

Is the probiotic you have in a capsule form? Is it Culturelle?

Both dogs are having diarrhea in their kennel (they are in a kennel together for 9 hr/day) and have been having accidents in their kennel. Also in the house which is unusual behavior for them.

Did change the flavor of dog food but not the brand, which is Natural Blend- hypoallergenic. Also I'm on a frozen bay and the Canadian geese are coming in but have not been in my yard- the first dog Pippe is an escape artist and has been out of the fenced in yard.

The amount of energy has decreased but they aren't lethargic.

Probiotic is capsule: ?Dr. Murphys 12-12.

I am working on your answer....I will be back in about 10 min!

Is this probiotic made for dogs or made for people? for children?

I have not encountered that particular brand before and am looking it up for you!

the probiotic is made for people and I get it in the refrig. section at the Whole Food Coop.

Hi again,

Thanks for that information about the probiotic!

What you are describing in your dog sounds like they may have colitis. This is an inflammation of the colon.

With colitis, dogs tend to have one or more of the following:

- more frequent bowel movements,

- a sense of urgency (which can lead to accidents in the house),

- sometimes straining, and

- mucus and even blood on the stools.

The stools often start out a bit soft, or pudding like and become gelatinous, shiny and mucoid as it progresses. The colon normally makes mucus to help the stool to pass along, so when it is inflamed it makes a lot of mucus, and also can have erosions that lead to bleeding.

Colitis could be caused by a large number of different things. Examples are stress, dietary indiscretion (eating something she shouldn't have), bacterial and viral infections, and parasites.

In a sensitive dog, even a one-meal food change could trigger this. The change in food could have triggered this with your dogs. Also, eating goose droppings could have been an issue for Pippe!

If a dog with no history of stress were to come in to my hospital, and we didn't have to consider money (so I could do all the tests I would want to do!) I would start with a physical exam and then a number of tests to rule out bacterial and parasite infections.

Now, in terms of what people can do at home for dogs that I have seen and diagnosed with colitis, I suggest the following:

1. When either dog has an episode of diarrhea and/or mucus on the stool, you should WITH-HOLD FOOD! Do not offer her regular food for 12 hours. This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

*****While she is off her regular food, you can start 2 tablespoons per 10lbs body weight of canned Pumpkin given twice daily. Be sure to use plain canned pumpkin and NOT pie filler!****

2. When she is fasting, she can have lots of clear fluids.

So, water is fine, but also she can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or onion free chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1/4 cup an hour.

3. After 12 hours if the diarrhea has stopped, you can start your dog back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 2-3 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal diet and food.

So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve herself and back in.

6. Probiotics

I highly recommend these! It is virtually impossible to overdose a dog on these... but the normal dose for dogs of 10 to 25lbs would be 1/2 to 1 capsule per day divided into 2 meals.

Probiotics are very safe and help a lot of dogs! It just helps to promote the growth of "good" bacteria and reduce the "bad" bacteria in a natural and safe way.

You can use FortiFlora products which are available from your veterinarian, or you can use Culturelle which is available at pharmacies in the USA. These are the 2 products that I am most familiar with, but the one you have listed should also be effective.

Here are links:
http://www.dogbuffs.com/purina-fortiflora-probiotics-dogs-cats
www.culturelle.com

I'll give you links to further information:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=677
http://www.dogsworldwide.com/articles/infofile/if_bpn10.htm

Another thing which I should mention is that in patients that I see, I quite often prescribe Imodium (loperamide) to help resolve diarrhea, as long as the dog is not a herding breed like a border collie. It is quickly effective, and I have people use it for 1 or 2 days. More here about it, including dose:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/loperamide-imodium/page1.aspx

If your dogs start to pass blood or mucus, or begin vomiting, or lose their appetite, then a call to your vet would be in order. Your vet may want to start them on metronidazole which is very quickly effective at helping to make dogs with colitis feel better.

I hope that helps you. If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian